Sunday, June 21, 2015

Letter to my fifteen year old son

Fall 2014

Oh, my dear Max . . . I am so, so sorry.  I know you are angry that I filed a PINS* petition against you.  You are likely also hurt:  how could your own mother say these awful things about you in a publc forum?  I don't want to say these things about you; you forced my hand.  Not only did all the measures we tried to intervene not work, but with every step you became more determined to not cooperate. Your behavior is not only out of line, it's off the charts.  There is something desperately wrong.  You have so much anger, so much vehemence, but you refuse to look inward and examine what it's all about.  It's scary.  It's messy.  It doesn't follow the rules of logic and so you don't want to deal with it.  In that way you are very much your father's son.

This petition feels like a failure to me: I have failed in some aspect of parenting for your teenagehood to turn out this way.  I know that you hate hearing about your "potential,"  but you are a brilliant, creative, vibrant person.  I have tried everything I could to avoid taking this in front of a judge.  But all the trying and caring in the world have not been enough. I am incredibly sad.  I am heartbroken.  I hope that one day you will back on this and agree that it was the best thing I could do for you at this point.


Your loving mother

*PINS = Person in Need of Supervision.  A young person (up to age 18) who is deemed to be "ungovernable."

No comments:

Post a Comment